Author Topic: Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas  (Read 22579 times)

Offline IdBlackPotPat

• Chef de Tournant
Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:33 pm »
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
  • 1 1/4 pounds shredded pre-cooked chicken
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
  • 10-12 corn tortillas
  • Cilantro leaves and sour cream for garnish

Preparation:
Arrange 14 briquettes underneath a 12-inch oven in a circle. Melt butter in the oven. Add onions and sweat. Add the garlic and sweat until you smell them.

"Sweating Onions and Garlic"

Stir in flour and spices and cook about 5 to 10 minutes, but do not brown.

"Cooking the Roux"

Add stock and milk

"Added Milk and Chicken Stock"

Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.  Add chicken, green chilies, and half of the cheese to the sauce.

"Chicken and Cheese"

Simmer until cheese melts. Remove half of the meat and sauce mixture into a bowl. Tear or cut tortillas into wedges. Arrange half of the tortilla wedges over the meat mixture in the oven. Spoon the remaining meat mixture over the tortillas. Arrange remaining tortilla wedges over meat mixture.

"Ready to Bake"

Place lid on oven. Cook with 8-10 briquettes bottom heat and 16-18 briquettes top heat for 30 to 35 minutes, until sauce is bubbly.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over enchiladas. Cover; bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes to melt cheese.

"Ready to Eat"

Garnish each serving with cilantro leaf and sour cream.

Serves 5 to 6.

From IdBlackPotPat, who shared this recipe:
I love Chicken Enchiladas.  Unfortunately, most recipes usually call for canned soup of one type or another - that is just not my style.  I did these while camping last weekend and they turned out great! While this is more of a casserole - which was perfect for camping -  than enchiladas, you could roll the filling into Enchiladas easily. Not too spicy, if you like it a little hotter, just add diced Jalapeno in when adding the green chilies.

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
Re: Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:53:29 pm »
Awesome!  I've been looking for a chicken enchilada recipe that doesn't contain Cream of Slimy Stuff Soup.  I'll be sure to try this one out very soon and get it bumped to the official recipes section!

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »
I made these at a family reunion on Saturday.  This recipe is great!  It replaced the other recipe I had on the site for chicken enchiladas.  This one tasted fantastic and has no cream soup.  Pictures will be posted soon.

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »
I added the pictures to the recipe.  In the pictures, I hadn't added the green chilies.  I realized that this step had been omitted from the recipe.  I actually forgot to add them until just before I added the cheese on top--the last step.  So I added them and stirred them in, then added the cheese and cooked until the cheese was melted.

This is my new favorite chicken enchiladas recipe.  It's easy.  There's no need to roll a bunch of enchiladas which end up falling apart when you take them out of the pot anyway.  Brilliant!