This is usually called “Mountain Man Breakfast,” but it’s a good, hearty meal for any time of the day.Ingredients:
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 med-large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 5 lb Yukon Gold* potatoes
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
Heat a 12-inch dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom heat until nice and hot. Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Add to dutch oven and fry until crisp and brown. Remove excess bacon fat if desired. Add onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper and saute until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom heat and 14-16 briquettes top heat for 30 minutes. Season eggs with salt and pepper and pour over the top of the potatoes. Cover and bake an additional 20 minutes, stirring gently every 5 minutes. When the eggs are done, sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover and let stand until the cheese is melted.
Serve hot, with picante sauce if desired. Serves 10-12.
* Regular russett potatoes can be used but the Yukon Gold potatoes have a wonderful, buttery flavor.