Author Topic: Caramel Cobbler  (Read 91032 times)

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
Caramel Cobbler
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:28:02 am »
This recipe is a little bit different. Many thanks to my friend, Lynette, who gave me the recipe that they call "Sunday Pudding" in her home. It's a recipe that translated easily to dutch oven cooking, and honestly, tastes a bit like a caramel cobbler. But it's unique enough that you really should try it! If you're like me, you'll have found a new comfort food.

I wanted to make sure I was cooking the right amount in a 12-inch dutch oven, because the recipe is made in a 9 x 13 pan. I figured I'd get a rough idea if I just calculated the number of square inches in each. 9 x 13 = 117 square inches. pi x 6" squared is approximately 113 square inches, a difference of only about 3.5%. So for all intents and purposes, a 12-inch dutch oven and a 9 x 13 pan are equivalent!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup cold water

Preparation
Place a 12-inch dutch oven over a full spread of briquettes. Add the first three ingredients and bring to a boil. This will be a very thin, watery mixture.

Meanwhile, mix together the rest of the ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls evenly over the boiling mixture. It should cover most of the area of the dutch oven.

Cover and bake with 10 briquettes bottom heat and 16-18 briquettes top heat for 30-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the syrup is reduced and bubbly.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.