Author Topic: Death By Chocolate  (Read 131759 times)

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
Death By Chocolate
« on: June 14, 2016, 04:47:57 am »
Wow. This is my new favorite chocolate dessert in a dutch oven. It rich, decadent, and pretty easy to put together. I modified the recipe a little bit--the original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules and a dash of cayenne pepper. I don't use coffee, so I omitted that, and I forgot the cayenne. Even without those two ingredients, this was killer.

The best part is the nice crunch of the heath bar on top. Gooey, chocolaty with a caramel-toffee crunch on top? Yes please!

Ingredients
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix.
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 small (3.9 oz) box chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 jar (12-oz) hot fudge ice cream topping
  • 6 full-sized Heath bars, crushed

Preparation
Mix together the cake mix, oil, eggs, and water. Stir in the instant pudding mix, half of the chocolate chips, and the crushed pecans.

Pour into a greased 12-inch dutch oven. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the unbaked mix. Cover and bake with 10 briquettes bottom heat and 14 briquettes top heat for 40 minutes or until the cake is set and springs back when touched lightly. Rotate the oven and lid 90 degrees in opposite directions every 10-15 minutes.

Remove the lid and let the cake cool for 5 minutes. While the cake is cooling, heat the hot fudge sauce until the sauce is runny. Poke holes in the top of the cake with chopsticks or with the back of a wooden spoon. Pour the hot fudge sauce onto the cake and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with the crushed Heath bars.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Serves 10.