Author Topic: Curry Chicken Pot Pie  (Read 16053 times)

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
Curry Chicken Pot Pie
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:08:14 pm »
This is adapted from Alton Brown's curry chicken pot pie. I use crescent roll dough instead of puff pastry because puff pastry doesn't really like to puff in the steam filled interior of a camp dutch oven.

Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 2 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas, carrots
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls

Preparation
Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch dutch oven with 22-24 briquettes bottom heat. Sauté the onion and celery until soft. Add 2 Tbsp of butter and once melted, add the flour and curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.

Add the milk and chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until boiling and thickened. Add the parsley, salt, and pepper. Add the frozen vegetables and the chicken and stir well.

Unroll the crescent roll dough and layer evenly on top of the chicken mixture.

Cover and bake with 10-12 briquettes bottom heat and 16-18 briquettes top heat for 30 minutes or until the crescent rolls are browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly.

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
Re: Curry Chicken Pot Pie
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:55:01 pm »
This chicken pot pie is probably my favorite chicken pot pie I've eaten. The first time I tried it was during a "camp comfort food" class I was teaching as part of the Community Education program at Utah Valley University. The little bit of curry adds a LOT of flavor. The crescent roll topping was good, but didn't reheat well at all. I'm going to try it again with biscuits for the topping. If that's better, I'll change the recipe.