Author Topic: Three-Meat Barbecue (aka Veggie Platter)  (Read 26440 times)

Offline nmower

• Chef de Tournant
Three-Meat Barbecue (aka Veggie Platter)
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:22 pm »
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 lbs. country style pork ribs
  • 2 lbs. stew beef
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 18 oz. of your favorite barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's, Famous Dave's, Frank's RedHot, Cattlemen's, if you want suggestions)
  • Optional: 2 lbs. shrimp
  • Optional: 1 lb. bacon
Let's make this clear:
The onion is your only vegetable.  It tastes great, and it allows you to call this dish Veggie Platter in order to annoy the non-carnivores in your group.  This really does annoy them.

Preparation:
Cut the chicken breasts and pork ribs into just-bigger-than-bite-sized pieces.  Chop the onion.  Heat the bottom of the oven so that it can be used as a skillet.  (Leave the lid off for now.)  Start with a tiny pool of vegetable oil and brown the chicken.  Add and brown the pork.  Add the chopped onion.  Add and brown the beef.  Add and brown any optional ingredients.  Add the barbecue sauce.  Remove all but 8-10 briquettes from beneath your oven.  Cover with the lid.  Distribute 12-14 briquettes over the lid, and cook for 30 minutes.

Note:
If you add optional ingredients, be sure to call it Four-Meat or Five-Meat Barbecue.

Another note:
If I want to be a real chef, I can make my own barbecue sauce.  But will it be better than Sweet Baby Ray's?  No.  It will not.

Offline DeShawn

• Administrator
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Dutch Oven Chef
    • Dutch Oven Chef Forums
Re: Three-Meat Barbecue (aka Veggie Platter)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:26:22 pm »
Thanks for the recipe!  I've had the Veggie Platter out of Nathan's dutch oven, and I can attest to its deliciousness!  I can also attest to the annoyance of non-carnivores when I tell them that this contains my three favorite vegetables:  chicken, pork, and beef.