Author Topic: Strawberry Apple Crisp  (Read 83892 times)

Offline Darren

• Global Moderator
  • Saucier
Strawberry Apple Crisp
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:22 pm »
Last weekend, I cooked some great food for my family and in-laws. The chicken was fantastic...the bread was lighter than expected and cheesy...

And the cobbler was just plain flat.

I am going to post the recipe and pictures, and possibly some things that I think need to change, but I would like input from everyone else!

Preparation
10" dutch oven

• 4 cups thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
  • 1 cup strawberries, sliced thick
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 5 Tbs. butter, nearly melted
  • 1 Tbs. chopped walnuts (optional)

Preparation

Peel, core, and slice the apples, and slice the strawberries.

"Apples"

"Strawberries"

Place cut fruit in a 10 inch DO. 

"Fruit"

Mix the dry ingredients, pouring nearly melted butter over mixture and work through with a fork until the mixture becomes crumbly.

"Crisp"

Top with walnuts if desired.  Pour mixture over fruit and spread evenly. 

"Topping"

Bake at 375*, using 16 coals on top and 7 on the bottom, for 35 minutes.  Serve warm.  Serves 6.

"Done"
There are two rules of Dutch Oven Cooking:
1) If you cook too much food, share.
2) Cook too much food.

Offline Darren

• Global Moderator
  • Saucier
Re: Strawberry Apple Crisp
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:23:11 pm »
So to begin...

There is so much right with this recipe - the idea of strawberries and apples sounds awesome.

One thing about the texture - it was overcooked. That part is my fault, I went over the 35 minutes.

What I think I could do to help it - there needs to be some sort of thickening agent/sweetener (goo maker?) in the fruit. And some sort of spices (cinnamon?) in with the fruit as well.

The crisp-to-fruit ratio is WAY weighted towards the fruit. It needs much more crisp. The next time, I'm thinking on using the crisp recipe from the Caramel Apple Crisp recipe on the site.

So...suggestions?

-Darren
There are two rules of Dutch Oven Cooking:
1) If you cook too much food, share.
2) Cook too much food.

Offline IdBlackPotPat

• Chef de Tournant
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »
The only things I can think of that may help this out are a little bit more butter in the crisp, some Vanilla in the fruit mix and depending on the fruit, possibly a little bit of white sugar.  A touch of Lemon juice in the fruit might help the flavor too.

Early season Strawberries are usually a little bit bland and watery - in my opinion.  Just waiting until you can get some vine ripened/local fruit may be all it will take.

Good luck on your future trials.

Offline IdBlackPotPat

• Chef de Tournant
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:48 pm »
OK, I was too quick with the other response. I think you have some really good thoughts here...

So to begin...

There is so much right with this recipe - the idea of strawberries and apples sounds awesome.

One thing about the texture - it was overcooked. That part is my fault, I went over the 35 minutes.
Just over cooking the fruit will definitely muddle the flavors - both Apples and Berries are a little bit delicate

What I think I could do to help it - there needs to be some sort of thickening agent/sweetener (goo maker?) in the fruit. And some sort of spices (cinnamon?) in with the fruit as well.
The Lemon juice will help the create some of the goo - You could also add a little bit of Apple Juice, or Apple juice concentrate (like frozen) may be even better here

The crisp-to-fruit ratio is WAY weighted towards the fruit. It needs much more crisp. The next time, I'm thinking on using the crisp recipe from the Caramel Apple Crisp recipe on the site.
I am a huge fan of the crisp topping so I am usually heavy handed there - but it sure tastes good  ;D

So...suggestions?
I hope that helps - and good luck next time

-Darren